Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Defeat

Ironic eh? the contrast between this post and the last? Ok, so this is how it went down...
____________________________________________________________________

So yesterday, my friend asked me to do a presentation about this robot me made for some robot model competition, being the sucker I am, I did what I must do. 2 periods before school ends, we (along with 2 others) AND the teacher-in-charge of course discussed what the heck we should do, since THEY DID THIS LAST MINUTE. I asked my friend what does the robot do? He said it has a fan attachment to it's back... I was like "What the f-" since I KNOW, with that, I can't even elaborate on anything and dude, seriously... a FAN?!

Ok, so I asked the teacher to invest for us on the project and to make claims to school later, BUT he didn't give us money for shit's worth...he only have us 6 bucks.... yes.... SIX. So we all agreed that we were to complete the robot and discuss on the presentation at my house yesterday. After school, I went back home, chilled and took a bath. After 10 minutes, the 1st guy arrives, then the following with his oh-so annoying pal tagging along. Turns out that THE ROBOT WASN'T EVEN MADE YET...... AND the teacher's SO reluctant to give us some cash to buy some supplies, we just HAD to improvise.

So we PANICKED since with no robot, there's no presentation and since they don't know what to do, I had to come up with something.... =.=lll So we just kept thinking.....AND thinking..... until it was 1 hour into the project, one voiced that we should just work with what we have, I told em'... no paint, no good-looking robot. BUT, we just did it, it was a torso prototype with NO functions whatsoever, I was just like that....made of cardboard boxes. Now being SUCH a great team, 2 left us since one had to go for a football friendly match and the other(being the narcassist he is) had to go service his motorcycle and go to work in some studio (being the self-proclaimed jack-of-all-trades he is.)

And there was 2, me and my friend sitting there thinking of what the head should look like, THEN since I was bored, I booted up Dead Space on my computer and BAM! Instant inspiration, the main character's helmet was it... this is how it looks like:



see that thing with the blue glowy stripes? that's it. SO, we finisheed putting together the whole thing, wasting alomst 2 rolls of tape.Then came another problem..... NO PAINT, I wasted 9.50 buying emergency supplies and my friend bought me FABRIC PAINT..... dude, CARDBOARD BOXES.... and he said buying a large tin of piant ain't gonna cut it. So ok, we scrapped the paint, THEN my mom came to the rescue with a canister of left-over spray paint from my living skills project last year....which was black.... so we painted the thing black.... but 3/4 thru the process.... you guessed it, the paint ran out.

Now, let's take a deep breath and PANIC! UNTIL, my friend and I suddenly talk about Kamen Rider.... the latest one, Decade. So I remembered this one character in the show named DiEND which was blue/black in color. This is it:
Ok, so we used THAT color scheme, by covering our paint-less spots with left-over tape, which was BLUE in color.

So after we finished it, it was 9PM, my friend lives outside of town to boot..... so he took a bus home and I relaxed.....and was thinking of a concept of a awesomely kick-ass robot. So I came up with this crap, trust me, it's so stupid it will amuse you. Since our robot was made from fully recycle-able material, I thought that hey, why not IN THE FUTURE... synthesize these materials to a single substance that's eco-friendly AND cheap, therefore decreasing the cost for cybernetic development, making it easier for the nerds to make more advanced robots and viola, instant win. I made it Gaia to boot, which means "earth". So after that, I finished my speech and went to bed after logging off from my online game.

NEXT DAY (which was today), gathered up, for the record, after the "we're staying at the joint till 5PM" warning, I brought my PSP along. So we reached the university... (yeah, we did it in campus, the UKM which was ways from school) sat down to chill then proceeded to eat breakfast, they others went first, me and my other friend went later, had a run-of-the-mill Roti Tampal and then we started putting together the arms....which consist of Freddy Koeger's arm and Optimus Prime's sword.....gee, good going, smartass....

So after that, we bought some Mah Jong paper and Whiteboard pens and creaated last minute mind-maps, arts was (as per usual) in my hands, so my friend just traced mt pencil lines. 30 minutes later (It was already 2PM). The thing starts, so I had to do my speech and explanation about something that's not even gonna happen in the future over and over again till the fat judge came (God, I HATE this guy...). So I gave him a limited edition long speech and a full explanation on why and how. He only had 1 stupid question to ask... "Why did you use a micro-chip as it's brains?" I said it was to save space so you can connect more wires, increasing the potency of life-like limbs. He then said "No, I mean why not those intel chips you use nowadays?" I said it's cuz scientists like to go with the latest tech....so yeah. After a grueling hour or so, winners were announced, SMK Maxwell had no placing. it was....

1st: SMK Jalan Tiga (the garbage collector-bot and the snail-shaped vaccum)
2nd: SMK Jalan Tiga (Sharked-based bot that's SUPPOSED to clean the sea of oil)
3rd: St. John (Robot that plays music and a horse that dances to it's beat)
4th: SMK Dusun (or something like that)
(Wall-E Rip-off)
5th: I totally forgot which.... (Sea cleaning bot with full details)

So yeah, St. John had those voice command and music note sensors, yet they got 3rd, we lost to a damn garbage-bot and a snail-shaped vaccum cleaner, AND a shark that looks like some aluminium foiled-covered dildo. I hate the judge for not having brains. So yeah, I wasted half of my day just to lose. So yeah, went back at about 6PM, reached home at somewhere near 7PM.
____________________________________________________________________
So that's what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment