Monday, July 19, 2010

The Master And Student

I was fairly disappointed, disappointed at the fact that SMK Maxwell prioritizes Science students and just abandon us art students. As if a bad line-up of this year's art faculty was bad enough... today was the lauch of Mentor-Mentee program for the form 5s. Now usually when one would arrange a program of such caliber, we would have a mentor guiding mentees of different abilities. Ours was SUPPOSED to be Strong students, followed by mild students, and weak students in a group. Of course depending on their academic levels, the mentor must adapt to the students, therefore, skilled teachers should counsel weaker students, not the ones that are already academically better, namely; most of the science students.

It was just offending that we; the art students are overshadowed by these so-called "exceptional" individuals... the school's "hope". Honestly, I never clapped for the science students, because they're typical to be the highlight of academic events. The smartest student in school, of course had been chosen, along with a few others who are great academic examples with a great mentor; my maths teacher. Groups after groups, the same faces show, along with the teachers I know and respect. Until it was my turn (yes, I was chosen), I was paired with a Chinese teacher. So let me get this straight, you pair the good students with good teachers and the average students with teachers we don't even know? Why don't you just make it a science-stream exclusive program and stop making a mockery out of us?

What good is it when you fill a cup which is already full? No, it doesn't necessarily mean that science students need to be accompanied by science-stream faculty. Wouldn't that make their job easier? What about us art students? What of OUR fate? Left for dead?

No comments:

Post a Comment