It has been the popular assumptions of school these days to think that the science students are always superior to art students. Especially in this modern world where diplomas and degrees are prerequisites for careers. And SMK Maxwell has escaped this trend of stereotyping not. But is this assumption truly the ideal mindset for students these days? Ask yourself that.
I have shrugged off this subject for quite sometime and I feel that I should have my say on this. For the curious minds out there, it is the events these past few days that has drove me to post this. Last week it was the mentor-mentee program. But today was very different, it was the day I would officially receive my medal for robotics in front of assembly. (We won 3rd place last week and it was satisfying indeed as we are going to represent Sentul in the KL levels on the 10th of August.) After I entered class, my art teacher asked me "How did you get in?" and I was of course, confused and implored him to clarify his question. He rephrased and said "How did you get into the robotics team?" "Well I was chosen of course." I said confidently. My teacher lowered his voice and told me "Well, another teacher begs to differ, he was asking me why an art student was able to enter the competition." From that moment onwards, I was officially offended.
That lead to a deep conversation that involved me, Amin and my teacher. And here's what's important. This Science V.S. Art culture has been running for quite the time it seems. It seems that the school's hopes on competitions such as robotics, physics competitions (e.g. Rocket-building) are always on the science students. And when no one is willing to go, no representatives are sent. Yet, lo and behold, last year's entry for the rocket-building competition was designed by my own art teacher, and the team won 3rd. If that isn't proof enough that art students are overshadowed, look at our own robotics competition. I was the one giving ideas. Ron; our captain wanted 2 motors to run wheels to climb on poles and 1 to grab on the pole. The question is, how do we make it move back and forth? So, do science students seem all that bright to you? Not until the moment where I cracked the idea of rebuilding the robot from the ground up that we actually started progress.
Of course, I'm not implying that science students are stealing the spotlight. It's just that we art students are treated like useless garbage nowadays. Yet none of these people remember the joy of procrastination we art students choose as a lifestyle. Just because we cannot stand deadlines, doesn't mean we don't get work down. The adrenaline rushing as I rushed my art folio last week was pure bliss. Me, Nizam and a few more were dancing and singing to Billie Jean playing on the radio while coloring at the same time. Finishing projects has never been this good. And yet, we finished it by an extended deadline by 1 day.
Again let's take a look at successful individuals through the times. Bill Gates did not graduate beyond high school, yet without his idea of making the now world-renowned computer software we all know as Microsoft Windows, could I even write on this blog? Then again, would blogs even exist? The late Dato' Lim Goh Tong wasn't an academically exceptional individual. He stopped studying after he graduated primary school, yet, without his creative spark to build a business empire, could we be able to relieve stress every now and then at the famed Genting Highlands? This leads to the fact that when I ask "What career do you want to thrust yourself into when you're done with school?" to my science stream friends, most say "I dunno." or "I'm not sure." So, what's the point of packing knowledge like that if you're not going to use it? 9As mean nothing and you'll just be wasting your final year as a high school student chasing a fleeting dream that's non-existent. "It's important to get 9As." one friend said to me and I asked him "Would you prefer to apply a position as a encyclopedia?" In my humble opinion, even though we have the doors of choices unlocked, what's the use when we don't have a volition, an agenda for our future? It's better to concentrate on what you want to achieve in life rather than being a jack of all trades, master of none.
Knowledge is indeed power, but if it is not utilized, the individual is no different than a plant. If you find this post offensive, I offer you my sincerest and deepest apologies. The rest is silence, my dear readers.
aku sokong!!!
ReplyDeletekreativiti boleh bawak semua orang pergi jauh...
kalau logic,boleh buatkan diorang jadi GILER!!!
Great Blog.....dun think mine would beat yours....Well, keep it up.
ReplyDelete